Synthetic Ingredients: Good or Bad?

Skincare with 100% naturally-derived ingredients are becoming a much more popular choice. However, synthetic ingredients are not all bad, as natural ingredients are not all good! In fact, the use of natural ingredients can be damaging to the environment if not sourced properly or ethically (take Palm Oil for example).

Natural ingredients can also have an adverse effect on the skin; Coconut Oil if applied topically can clog pores and dry out the skin. Natural ingredients can also have a short shelf life which can be a waste of money if you don’t finish the product before it’s expiration date. 

Synthetic ingredients tend to get quite a bad rep, but some are incredibly useful and good for you, and can be more powerful (but just as gentle) as a natural equivalent. Most synthetic ingredients are used as preservatives to increase the lifespan of a product. Others fill the gaps in beauty that natural ingredients can’t cover, such as Hyaluronic Acid. HA is naturally made in the human body, helping your cells retain as much as moisture as possible to keep your skin feeling hydrated and healthy. HA can hold up to six litres of water per gram, making it a super ingredient to regulate the moisture in the cells. However, to be used as an added ingredient, it has to be made synthetically. 

Here at The Pro Co. sometimes we need to use synthetic ingredients to help with the formulation. We never use nasty ingredients, and make sure that all the natural or synthetic elements used are responsibly sourced, and safe to be included in skincare. 

Our 20% Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid is 75% natural - the other 25% is made up of the following:

Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate - is a stable, water-soluble form of Vitamin C that functions as an antioxidant.

Propylene Glycol - is a humectant (hydrating) and delivery ingredient used in cosmetics. In cosmetics, Propylene Glycol is used in small amounts to keep products from melting in high heat or from freezing.

PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides - PEG is an acronym for Polyethylene Glycol, an amazingly versatile ingredient in skincare products because of the many uses it has and its broad compatibility with different types of ingredients. PEG is often mixed with an array of hydrating emollients including Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride - derived from Coconut Oil and Glycerin, it’s considered an excellent emollient and skin-replenishing ingredient.

Phenoxyethanol is a widely used synthetic preservative that has global approval for use in all cosmetic products in concentrations up to 1%. We stick to below this level. 

Ethylhexylglycerin - A synthetic skin-softening agent also used as a preservative, a carrier, or suspending agent for other preservatives such as Phenoxyethanol.

Tetrasodium EDTA - Chelating agent used to prevent minerals present in formulations from bonding to other ingredients.

Natural and synthetic ingredients can be good and bad, but we aim to use the best of both in harmony so that your skin looks and feels it's best!